Google is the most used search engine in the world, accounting for over 70% of the search market. It’s important for your business’s search engine optimization (SEO) because if Google can’t find you, neither will your customers. A Google My Business (GMB) listing will help your business show up in search results, on Google Maps, and in the side panel on Google. If you don’t currently have a GMB listing for your business, here is your step-by-step guide to claiming it:
- Go to business.google.com and click “Sign In.”
- Enter the email address and password you’d like to use to manage your GMB. It must be a Google email address.
- Enter the name of your business. Select it from the options listed or select “Create a business.”
- Confirm the business name you would like to appear on your listing.
- Confirm your business category.
- Choose your services. This can also be done at a later time.
- Can people visit you at your business location? Choose “Yes” or “No.”
- If yes, you will need to enter your address right away. If not, you will be asked to enter it at a later step.
- Choose your service areas. You can choose up to 10 locations and this is optional for businesses with a physical location.
- Add your contact information.
- Click finish then choose your verification method. For verification, there are various options through phone, text, email, or postcards.
- If you verify by postcard, you will need to log in using the same email as before to business.google.com and on the “Home” page there will be a “Verification needed” section. Click “Verify now” and enter the code you received on the postcard in the mail.
Note: If someone else has previously claimed your listing, you may come across the message below. If you recognize the email, ask the owner of that email to add you as a user. If you don’t recognize it, you can request access. You’ll have to wait 7 days for a response before being able to reclaim your listing.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully verified and claimed your Google My Business listing. If you’d rather, our team of expert marketing strategists can help you through this process and monitor your listing for optimization. Contact our team to learn more about our Listing Claim services.